|by Todd Leinen, BG Product Technical Support Representative||Read time: 2.5 minutes|
Most companies have bold commercials or bottles with labels that claim all sorts of performance capabilities for automotive lubricants or fuel additives. BG does. So what exactly is it that sets us apart from other “additive companies”?
It’s our commitment to quality. Sure, it’s easy to say you have an excellent product, but how would someone really know if it is or not? Unlike most of our competitors, we back up our claims with science.
All product testing conducted by BG is based on ASTM International test methods.
ASTM International: What is it? Why does it matter?
ASTM International is the industry standard for laboratory test methods. These methods ensure quality and reliability. There are numerous ASTM International committees that deal with everything from petroleum products to concrete to sporting equipment.
BG is a member of two ASTM International committees:
- Committee D02 on Petroleum Products, Liquid Fuels and Lubricants
- Committee D15 on Engine Coolants and Related Fluids.
Performance and quality
ASTM International testing is all standardized and performed under the same conditions. Because BG utilizes ASTM International testing methods, the quality and performance of our products can be verified by an outside laboratory.
Proficiency in testing
In addition to the ASTM International testing methods, we also participate in a proficiency program for many of our tests. BG is part of the ASTM International Proficiency Testing Program, which ensures statistical quality assurance.
We currently participate in proficiency programs for testing hydraulic fluid, diesel fuel, transmission fluid and engine coolant. And, we hope to expand into more programs.
Beyond ASTM International
BG also holds certification with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS). We are ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, and ISO/IEC 17025 certified.
- ISO 9001 provides a business model for quality assurance in design, development, production, packaging, distribution and service.
- ISO 14001 is a business model for an environmental management system. It’s used to improve resource efficiency, reduce waste and control costs.
- OHSAS 18001 is an internationally recognized occupational, health and safety management system series standard. It emphasizes health and safety in maintaining a safe workplace.
- ISO/IEC 17025 specifies the general requirements for the competence, impartiality, and consistent operation of laboratories and is applicable to all organizations performing laboratory activities
All of these certifications and associations require internal and external audits. They are a testament to the dedication and focus BG invests in remaining the unquestioned leader in quality and performance when it comes to vehicle maintenance.
Todd has 17 years of research and development lab experience with BG Products. He is currently a voting member of ASTM International Committee D-02 on Petroleum Products, Liquid Fuels and Lubricants and Committee D-15 on Engine Coolants and Related Fields.