The Quality Control Laboratory Supervisor is a first level management position. In this role, the supervisor is a hands-on leader, working side-by-side with employees in the Quality Control Laboratory to achieve the product quality assurance goals of the company. As such, the incumbent shall be familiar with a variety of chemical and physical concepts, practices, techniques, and instrumentation and equipment associated with a Quality Control Laboratory. The supervisor relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
The Quality Control Laboratory Supervisor oversees personnel who utilize established scientific and mathematical techniques to compile, record, and analyze data that can be utilized to approve the release of finished products, validate incoming raw materials, and identify trends that may impact the workflow of our Operations Department. The supervisor provides advice and guidance to technicians and analysts to reinforce consistent testing and analysis techniques, along with implementing new procedures and processes for improvement.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Laboratory Manager in planning and maintaining adequate personnel (adequate pool of competent personnel) and physical resources (adequate equipment and materials) necessary to efficiently execute all laboratory operations
- Ensure that all laboratory staff are adequately trained to perform duties prior to performing a function
- Manage and ensure the accurate and timely completion and approval of the acceptance testing of blends, packaging line change-overs, raw materials, and outsourced finished products
- Help maintain and recommend review of acceptance criteria for formulations, blends, packaging line change-overs, raw materials, and outsourced finished products
- Review, revise, develop and implement standard procedures as necessary to assure acceptable product quality
- Work with multi-functional teams
across the company and specifically the manufacturing facilities and operations
management team to provide technical support and recommendations for
- Support Operations management in troubleshooting of batch production issues
- Support Integrated Management Systems management and staff to identify the root cause(s) of batch production and product quality issues, and develop and implement short and long term corrective and preventive actions commensurate with the identified root cause(s)
- Ensure that applicable equipment and analytical instruments in all Quality Control Laboratories are maintained and calibrated
- Help assist and support the needs of the Research and Development Laboratories as required
- Responsible for overseeing the ordering of laboratory supplies to ensure continuing operations of the Quality Control Laboratories
- Conduct periodic Employee Performance Reviews of, and provide feedback to, direct reports
- Enforce the company’s environmental and occupational health and safety rules as these apply to laboratory operations, including chemical handling and disposal of laboratory waste
- Report and assist in the investigation of environmental, health and safety incidents, accidents, or potential hazards, involving laboratory personnel
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Manager or the Director of Product Technology
- Education – Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in Chemistry or related technical field required. Equivalent experience in lieu of education will be considered.
- Experience – Minimum 3 years of direct experience working in a chemical laboratory required
- Experience working with fuels and fuel additives, lubricants, solvents, and other hydrocarbon products is preferred
- Experience working in a quality control laboratory is required
- Prior supervisory experience is highly preferred
- Thorough knowledge of testing and best practices in a Quality Control Laboratory environment is required
- Must be computer literate with a good knowledge of MS Excel, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, and prior experience with some form of Laboratory Information System software
BG Products, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.