Lathe Machinist 2nd Shift (Derby)
BG Products, Inc. – Tools & Equipment Division located in Derby, Kansas manufactures and distributes a broad line of specialty Tools/ Equipment for use in the Automotive Professional Trade Industry through a network of distributors worldwide.
The Machinist position will work in collaboration with the Manufacturing Team to operate a wide variety of CNC mills and lathes.
Duties and responsibilities
- Calculate dimensions or tolerances, using instruments such as micrometers or vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, or materials onto machines.
- Measure, examine, or test completed units to check for defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments, such as micrometers.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Maintain machine tools in proper operational condition.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, or engineering information to determine methods or sequences of operations needed to fabricate products.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Check work pieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated or cooled.
- Diagnose machine tool malfunctions to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Confer with engineering, supervisory, or manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information.
- Dispose of scrap or waste material in accordance with company policies and environmental regulations.
- Separate scrap waste and related materials for reuse, recycling, or disposal.
- Evaluate machining procedures and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency or adaptability.
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing, using knowledge of machine functions, metal properties and mathematics.
- Assemble machine tools, parts, or fixtures.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area and maintain all equipment, to like new appearance, according to maintenance plans and established procedures.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
- Continue to learn and grow knowledge of equipment/tools to identify and assist with continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure that safe work practices are followed and adhered to.
- Other duties as assigned
- CNC Machines – Turning Tools, Boring Bars, Threaders, ID/OD, End Mills, Face Mills, Boring Head.
- Precision Instruments – Calipers, Micrometers, Height Stand, Threaded Plug Gauges, Ring Gauges, Gauge Pins, Radius Gauges, ID Micrometers, Bore Gauges, ID Calipers.
- Manual/Hand Equipment – Drill Press, Dotco, Bridgeport Mill, Manual Lathe, Drimmel.
- Fork Lift
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Precision Machining Experience preferred.
- On-the-job training will be provided for specific job assignments.
BG Products, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.